New York City is a coveted place to live. But it’s also a stressful one. Living here amongst the fast paced bustle of the busy streets can stress out even the most zen of individuals. Maybe that’s why it’s a city that also boasts attention to the wellness craze. Juice spots, endless fitness boutiques and yoga centers literally line streets. Just as much as we need what the city offers, we need sanctuary from it too. Even the kind that takes us slightly off the beaten path. Work on your mood and throw in a little fun with some unique ways to relieve stress in NYC. Beyond meditation, there are plenty of ways to relieve stress in NYC and beyond the city. But some are more fun, quirky, or even more useful than others. Regardless, consider your stress levels chilled out.
Here are 8 unique ways to relieve stress in NYC:
1. Go to a salt room. Modern Sanctuary in the Flat Iron is exactly that; a safe space away from the world. Envelop yourself inside their pink salt room for 30 minutes, and emerge feeling a complete sense of renewal. You might not walk out a changed person, but you will certainly feel lighter. Maybe even breathe better too.
2. Try hatchet throwing. If you’re feeling adventurous, or need to let off some steam, give axe throwing a try. It’s the latest craze to hit the scene, and Kick Axe in Brooklyn is so popular, they’re booked on most weekends. Make a reservation, and an ‘axepert’ will give you a 15 minute lesson before letting you loose. Add alcohol and this sounds like a dangerous, and thrilling evening. Regardless of the risks, if you’re seeking a unique way to relieve stress in NYC, this seems like good spot to hit. Pun intended.
3. Paint and drink. (or drink and paint). Sip and paint spots have become quite popular in recent years, and it’s easy to see why. They mostly all host a laid back vibe. One focused more on having a good time, than the talent or passion of your paint work. If the week has left you drained, professionally, or personally swing over to Muse Paintbar. A glass of wine, a paintbrush, and a blank canvas may be all you need to hit reset.
relieve stress in NYC with Muse Tribeca classes
4. Take a nap. George Constanza was wise. He knew that sometimes, even under your desk at work, you just need to catch some Z’s. Perhaps somewhat inspired by that mantra, Nap York was conceived. The storefront looks like any other in the neighborhood. Step inside though, and you’re instantly transported to another world. A dark universe with four floors of air purifying plants, zen like sleep spaces, sleeping pods and even a rooftop garden. In the UK, David Barton has also started napping workouts. It’s only a matter of time until this idea crosses the pond too.
5. Stay at an Even hotel. Typically we lean towards indulging in a hotel. Room service, and lounging in lush robes. At Even hotels, it’s just the opposite. The desire to indulge in your wellness is way more exciting. And sometimes, a little workout or day of detox is all we need to relieve stress in NYC. At Even, each room is fitted with workout equipment, complete with exercise ball. They also feature spa worthy showers, cooling eucalyptus sheets, and lighting all dedicated to making one feel their most relaxed. The cafe Cork and Kale boasts homemade juices and shakes and tasty sandwiches and salads.
6. Take a Floral arranging class. There are plenty of unique ways to relieve stress in NYC. But maybe one of the prettiest options is a floral arranging class. Flowers just somehow have the power to immediately make you feel better. A quick sniff can do wonders for our attitude. Check out some classes at Flower School NY.
Goat yoga. Just kidding. A class filled with yoga and adorable, little goats could only help your mood. Unfortunately, this hyped Brooklyn class was cancelled due to health code violations. This means you’ll have to keep traveling off the island of Manhattan to get your goat yoga fix.
8. Bee keeping. Studies have said that honey can relieve stress and anxiety. So it goes to reason that a bee keeping class could do the same. If you’re looking for a unique way to relieve stress in NYC, (and you’re brave enough), give bee keeping a try. Some say the experience of hearing the bees is even soothing. Check out some Bee education options here.