Today is national sandwich day, and all across the country, restaurants, food writers, bloggers, stay at home moms, novice chefs, and the list goes on, are celebrating with their favorite recipes, and menu items. Rather fitting, since it was only recently I shared my thoughts on 10 easy sandwich ideas to make for lunch. No matter where you are, you can feast on something great, like an oversized club in Chicago, or a street sandwich in Spain. And here on this island, they also know how to celebrate a great sandwich. In this city, finding one is not a difficult task. You can order it in most delis, on most streets. But what about those truly great bites? Here are 5 ideas for enjoying today, including one that takes very little effort at all or movement at all.
1. At a classic NYC deli. There’s no debating that the originators, like Katz, and Carnegie are among some of the best sandwiches in the city. Although mostly relegated to tourists, (no locals would ever eat dinner at either famous location, at least none I know), there’s no denying there is still some fun in the novelty. Try a classic today, and be prepared to take home leftovers. The over $20 sandwiches are famously stuffed to the brim. If you want a classic NYC diner, (and in my opinion, maybe the best in NYC) head to Eisenbergs in the Flat Iron. You will not be disappointed, especially in the sandwiches! 5 Ways to ENjoy
2. With a Biscuit version at Empire Biscuit. This East Village spot specializes in one thing: biscuits. And they’re pretty darn good. On today of all days, why not try a twist on the classic sandwich, and head over to check out their selection.
3. At Chick-Fil-A in Midtown Manhattan. Ever since Chick-Fil-A opened recently in Herald Square, tourists, AND locals have been lining up in droves to eat what you would think had gold engravings on it. But nope, it’s just your everyday chicken sandwich. And yet, New York City, an island which scoffs at mall food, and suburb chains has become the ultimate hyprocrite by not just opening one, but creating a mass hysteria in doing so. I’ll follow suit too since my hatred of this growing chains trend in the city is sadly balanced by the undeniable tastiness of the famous chicken. But good enough to wait over an hour to eat? You decide.
4. A Bagel and Lox at Blackseed Bagels. Ever since this Soho bagel spot opened, its been hailed for its tasty creations, and celeb fans. My favorite of course is the sunday jew classic; bagel with lox. Head over and try your favorite to see what all the hype is about.
5. At home. If you spend your afternoons at home, then you may already know that sometimes, the best things we eat are the ones we create on a whim. Many times, even when you work from home, something can prevent you from putting together the simpliest of lunches. But if you aren’t able to venture out and try something, at least allow yourself the pleasures of a simple sandwich made at home. It’s the little things…..
Frenchs Mustard in sweet flavor with brown sugar is the perfect zest to add to a cheese and tomato sandwich, or any version you feel like creating. Emmi Cheeses ~Swiss. More here. The Best thing will you put on EVERYTHING – World Market California Garlic & sea salt.
What is your Favorite Sandwich? From your favorite place or your own fridge??