There’s only a little bit of time before summer 2014 escapes us forever, and somehow, Mother Nature, knowing how much we are all desperately hanging on decided to give us a pretty awesome finale for Labor Day weekend. This week we finally reached 90 degrees, for only the fourth time this whole summer. And though it may feel bittersweet to only get a helping of the heat, on the bright side, at least we go out on a high note. Labor Day weekend might not be breaking any heat records, but stay optimistic, and enjoy the delight of an 80 degree day. Before you know it, you’ll be complaining of the cold. Here are 5 ways to enjoy the weekend and keep cool, that are so affordable, it’s almost chilling…..
1. Spend the day Shopping. You know that brush of cold air you get when you walk past a store on a hot, summer day? That instant feeling when suddenly your sweaty body feels a surge of cold blast upon it, and instantly, a smile crosses your face. If you don’t have any big plans this Labor day, spend the day window shopping, gliding from one freezing store to another. Props if you don’t actually spend any money, but at least you’ll keep cool.
2. Go to a Movie. The easiest way to stay cool in New York City if you don’t have air conditioning? Go to the movies. This is what my mom and I did for years, before Stuyvesant Town allowed air conditioning. That actually happened! That was also before movies cost $20, but with the fall season seeing a resurge in good buzz movies, and a goodbye to the thoughtless summer blockbuster, there may just be a few still worth the cost of a ticket. My top pick to check out this weekend is the new Jennifer Aniston movie, Life of Crime, mainly because I heard it compared to Ruthless People; one of my favorite movies. Add one of my favorite actresses, and it seems like a recipe of end of summer success. For showtimes, and other movies to see this weekend head over to Fandango.
3. Try making a frozen dessert at home.get the full recipe at Foodandwine.com
4. Concoct an Iced green sun tea from South Beach Diet sure to keep you cool on the couch.
5. Take a dip. Regardless of where you reside, this is officially the last weekend of summer to take advantage of the area pools. Those lucky enough to have their own, or use of one need not abide by these societal rules, but if you’re like the rest of us, you want to cram in every last drop of water time. Click here for a list of all outdoor pools to hit this weekend in New York City, and all the surrounding boroughs.