Today we unite on social media to celebrate, lets face it, one of the tastiest of the newly coined ‘national holidays’; National Grilled Cheese Day. Across the world people can relish in their tasty, cheese filled concoctions, whether purchased, or created. Here on this island, we’ll use any reason to enjoy some trendy fare, or post our said fare on Instagram. So where better to enjoy today, than a city that’s home to more than a few shops that specialize just in that gooey, cheesy deliciousness. Here are 5 places to enjoy National Grilled Cheese day right here in good ole NYC.
1. Little Muenster. There are lots of great spots inside Brookfield Place’s massive food court but today, head straight to Little Muenster. Their grilled cheese sandwich is not only the perfect way to enjoy National Grilled Cheese day, but paired with tomato soup, it’s also the perfect meal for a rainy afternoon.
2. Melt Shop. An afternoon break at Melt Shop can find super long lines and zero chance of sitting down. But its worth it, especially today, for their super gooey, extra tasty grilled cheese sandwiches that come in a variety of delicious ways, depending on your fancy. Varied NYC locations. More details here.
3. The Pullman Kitchen. This Midtown East spot has a grilled cheese sandwich so intense, the slogan for ordering it is, ‘Can you beat the Beast?‘. It includes fried chicken, bacon, ham, pepper jack cheddar, tomatoes, peppers, and two cornbread waffles with syrup on grilled sourdough, plus waffle fries and house pickles. All together, it adds up to what Pullman boasts is 5 pounds of food, and offers the sandwich entirely complimentary if you can finish it in one sitting. Can you conquer the Beast of Midtown East for National grilled cheese day tonight? Would you even want to try?!
4. Murrays Cheese Bar. Any real NYC cheese lovers should already know about Murrays Cheese shop on Bleecker Street. The famous, cheesy shop more recently opened a separate, dining space which has been popular with cheese lovers ever since. It seems only fitting to head to the experts on a day like today, and few do cheese better than Murrays. Sit down in the cute, if not crowded cafe and order up the Murrays melt.
5. Right at home. Sometimes, celebrations are best had quietly, inside our own, cozy homes. So if you’ve decided to stay indoors today, make your own versions of National Grilled cheese day. Here is one recipe for that classic grilled cheese/tomato soup combo to get you started.